Monday, September 10, 2007

Why the promise of youth keeps me sane on my job.

The kid has cerebal palsy. It makes him frail and weak of body, not of mind. Still, this doesn't stop general society from assuming otherwise.

He's generally one of the coolest kids on the planet, so I decided to join him during his lunch to shoot the shit. I didn't have to, but with very few exceptions, my co-workers don't provide nearly as much engaging conversation as he does on my lunch break. Plus, he lets me trade my granola bars for his mom's homemade applesauce. It's a win win situation.

While thoroughly entrenched in a conversation about world domination not being depicted accurately enough in action films, a particularly irritating co-worker interrupted us to say hello.

Upon greeting me, she shook my hand. Upon saying hello to him, she patted him on the head. He shot me a dirty look as soon as her back was turned to him and I promptly responded by cutting the conversation short with her. We said our goodbyes, and off she went to annoy someone else.

Before I could make any apologies, he looks me dead in the face and says, "I think I'll ram her with my walker the next time she does that. I'd feel better, and she's too clueless to think it was anything but an accident." I made him promise me that he wouldn't do it unless I was around to see it.

Seeing as my day wasn't going to get any better than that, after putting in another hour or so of work, I just went home. The mysterious migrane that started as soon as arrived at work, magically dissappeared as soon as I turned the key in my ignition.

2 comments:

Trouble said...

hmmm... I, too, have headaches that seem to disappear as soon as I head for home. Interesting...

The Khanh is Dead. said...

See, now that wasn't so terrible was it?